Saturday, July 24, 2010

Interview with Cherry.blossomz




I am excited about this!  I just had the chance to do my first Author Interview.....It was also her first interview...but it turned out to be sooo much fun!  For those of you who don't know Cherry.blossomz, she is the amazing author of Darkness.  So...on to the Interview!






I'm going to be polite by starting out with an easy question....How are you doing today?

Cherry.blossomz: Im fabulous! Busy day at work, enjoying having the house to myself right now :) how are you?

I'm good. Nervous...and exhausted. Had to clean up after the kiddo all day :)

Cherry.blossomz: Dont be nervous!

Okay...okay. I talk to you all the time...this should be easy as pie!

Cherry.blossomz: yes. and Im a chatty cathy. Ill answer any Q's.

Awesome! So my next question.... How did you discover fanfiction?

Cherry.blossomz: That's a good question! My first fic was "The Office" by TBY789. I think I found it through tweets on twitter, but I read it incessantly and loved it!!

Oh I loved The Office. It was one of my first Twilight fics.  What made you want to try out your own fic? Have you written anything in the past...or was it a specific author/fic that inspired you?

Cherry.blossomz: I have written before, but it was in my teens and mainly angst ridden poetry. I have a background in Literature, so it's a huge passion. I was reading a lot of fic and thought "I can totally do this". Being inspired by the characters helped...and ideas just started to come to me.

Do you still read any plain ol books (haha) or are you only on fanfiction now?


Cherry.blossomz: My fic obsession has quieted a bit. I try to start one and finish it before starting another so I'm not overwhelmed with updates. I do read books, just re-read "On The Road" (but thats because KStew is playing MaryLou in the movie, so I dont think that counts.) I'm also re-reading "Slaughterhouse Five" and I'd like to read "The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo".  I'm re-reading Eclipse before the movie comes out

I was thinking about re-reading Eclipse....don't know. I'm reading WAY too many fics right now. I haven't picked up a real book in over 6 months.

Cherry.blossomz: Fic is a dominating force!!

And it saves us lots of money :)

Cherry.blossomz: haha true

Are you "in the closet" with your fic writing? (I have to thank @freebird71790 for that term. I thought it was too funny not to ask...)

Cherry.blossomz: yes. I am COMPLETELY in the closet!! The only people who know I write fic are friends I've met through Twitter who I also hang out with in real life.  Its sort of weird to keep it a secret, but its not something you really bring up to non-twi hard's.

Really...I was like that. My husband knows, and a couple of my friends know. I've been into fanfiction for like 6(ish) years. I have only recently told anyone. I finally caved and told my bestie, and now she reads as much as I do. I have saved her 100's of dollars in money she used to spend on books.

Cherry.blossomz: maybe one day...I shouldnt really care what people think!  I think fic has a very specific audience and if you're not a huge fan, you wouldnt get it.

Yeah, we shouldn't care...but when it comes to twilight...people on the outside are judgmental haha

Cherry.blossomz: true

I think the fandom is also more fun with Twitter. It feels more personal, and its a great place to make friends. I've only been on it since January.  Its like a huge group of people with the SAME interests as you, and you don't feel like a huge dork.  I actually talk to my twitter friends more that my RL friends....is that sad?

Cherry.blossomz: I told one of my best friends who I met through Twitter that "Twitter is like EHarmony for friends" I absolutely LOVE a lot of peeps I meet on Twitter! I do the same thing!!

My husband thinks I am nuts. I am ALWAYS on my iphone. He knows what I am doing...he chooses to ignore it.

Cherry.blossomz: Real friends call and Im like yawn but I RUN to answer @ replies on Twitter!

I know right! I get so excited when I get replies. Its fun!

Cherry.blossomz: I think men have video games and sports and such, and we have twitter and fic (among other things!)

But...I can say. Its not the fanfiction he thinks is stupid....its the twilight stuff. He's actually written some fanfiction before.....hehe. I hope he never reads this...
Cherry.blossomz: haha

He is ALWAYS playing video games. We have an Xbox and a Ps3.
I wonder if you can guess which fandom he was writing for.....


Cherry.blossomz: Harry Potter? The Lord of The Rings?

Buffy/Angel

Cherry.blossomz: LMAOOOOOOOOO!!!!   I LOVE that!!!

We own every DVD set.

Cherry.blossomz: I'm a fan as well

I like it now. I used to hate it, but I had never really seen it. When we were 18, and moved into our first apartment, we couldn't afford cable, so we watched all of the seasons of both shows together on our nights off. It was our thing for a while.

Cherry.blossomz: it sucks you in

You see....this was our relationship B.T. (Before Twilight) We would watch movies together, and spend time together.  Now he has to beg me to watch a movie. I would rather be on twitter/reading fanfiction/on skype....
Cherry.blossomz: I use the expression BT too!   Twitter is definitely a dividing line in my life. Ive been on it for a year now.

Oh...and I have to ask...Which Twilight book is your favorite?

Cherry.blossomz: I think the first one because there is minimal Jacob! but i also LOVE the second half of Breaking Dawn.

Oh me too. I actually liked reading Bella as a vampire.  I see you are Team Edward...just like me. I can't stand Jacob. (sorry Jacob fans.)

Cherry.blossomz: I know! I cant WAIT for that! I loved the little glimpse we got of her in New Moon all sparkly and yellow-eyed.  Big time Edward fan and I am obsessed with Rob.

I think Breaking Dawn will be my favorite movie when it comes out because we will actually get some good Bella/Edward time in there....

Cherry.blossomz: true

So for all of the people out there that haven't read Darkness....can you give them an idea of what its about?

Cherry.blossomz: Darkness is about two people who have suffered and find peace with each other. (One sentence summary!) The idea of that hits home for me, and I think readers identify with it also.

Does your Edward have a "ward" name yet??? :)

Cherry.blossomz: A few. "Darkward" is used by others, but peeps use that. "Musicianward" was on the table for a bit, but the one that has stuck the most is "Angryward".

OOo...Angryward. I love that he plays guitar & piano...Do you play any instruments?

Cherry.blossomz: I LOVE to sing!!

Is that why Bella is a singer?  :)

Cherry.blossomz: I think that singing with someone is the most intimate thing you can do besides having sex with them.

Oh, I totally agree. Singing is such a beautiful, powerful thing. Singing with someone is like baring a part of you to the other person.  I come from a musical background. My Dad is a musician, and I play piano and guitar.

Cherry.blossomz: Thats awesome! I never had the brain for instruments. Im not a math person, and it always felt like math to me. But singing comes from your soul, and I love that, just like writing!

I think one of my favorite elements of Darkness is the involvement of music. I have added so many new bands/songs to my playlist because of your fic! What are some of your all time favorite bands?  (I would ask song, but I think its VERY hard to just pick one....)

Cherry.blossomz: All time favs...Bowie, The Ramones, Coldplay...right now I listen to a lot of Arcade Fire, Mates of State, Lily Allen, Sunny Day Real Estate, Weezer... i could go on and on! The "Darkness" playlist has a lot of my fav's.
And I am MURDERING "Heavy in Your Arms" by Florence and The Machine from The Eclipse soundtrack right now!

Oh...me too. Heavy in Your Arms was my fav, from the first time I heard it on the soundtrack. Its been on repeat ALL day.  Where did you get your inspiration for Darkness?

Cherry.blossomz: I was going through some personal turmoil with family relationships and Darkness has actually helped me work through it. And college was an awesome time for me. A lot of what goes on in the fic actually happened!

That was actually another question I was going to ask. If any of it was personal experience....haha I have to know...have you ever sat on a car a few feet from an air strip? That actually sounds scary....

Cherry.blossomz: yes!!!!

Okay. I think I would have freaked out like Bella.  I bet the adrenaline was amazing.

Cherry.blossomz: It was awesome actually

I'm a wuss.
Cherry.blossomz: haha

Are any of the characters in Darkness based on anyone you know?

Cherry.blossomz: Edward has some aspects of my college boyfriend, and my husband mixed together. The foot fetish thing was random. Alice is like one of my RL friends and me mixed together.  Emmett is like the brother i wish i had!

You should call him Footward from now on....

Cherry.blossomz: hahahah!!!! OMG thats amazing!

I might have just snorted....I was laughing a little too hard.

Cherry.blossomz: haha!

Did you have Darkness planned from the beginning or are you a chapter by chapter kind of writer?

Cherry.blossomz: I had a loose outline, but along the way ideas popped up and changed the outline. None of it was really set in stone.  I do think its important for authors to have some sort of an outline to keep the story focused, otherwise its unfair to the reader.

Isn't weird how sometimes the characters can write themselves though? You have one idea...and then another one comes out of nowhere....


Cherry.blossomz:  true

Do you have any specific writing habits or rituals?

Cherry.blossomz: I set deadlines for myself in order to stay on task. Im a type A personality. I listen to music during the week to get inspired for the upcoming chapterand a beer or two doesnt hurt!  "Write drunk, edit sober" as they say.

haha awesome!  Do you ever get writers block?

Cherry.blossomz: No! I have trouble finding time to write, but inspiration has never been a problem for me.

Jealous.....

cherryblossom.cb1: I know. Im lucky!

Okay. I have two questions left...... First one-What fic are you currently reading right now?

Cherry.blossomz: The Guardian by Champagne Anyone and I'm waiting for The Blessing and The Curse to update!!

Oh me too. TB&TC...is amazing. What is The Guardian about?


Cherry.blossomz: I'm on chapter 11, but so far it's about B/E. They knew each other since childhood and are beginning to feel "adult" feelings for each other. Edward is very protective of Bella, she has a troubled past. They are struggling to trust each other.

That sounds good.  I always love asking people what they are reading...

Cherry.blossomz: The Blessing and The Curse is the most well written fic I have read.

Yes. Her writing is unreal...


Cherry.blossomz: The author of The Guardian is a big Darkness fan actually :)

Aww yay!   lol I don't know if you saw my twitter rant last night but this next question came from it.....

Cherry.blossomz: I saw lol!

What do you think is the most overused cliché in the fandom....

Cherry.blossomz: I think that the clichés actually come from the canon characters. Alice likes to shop. Edward doesnt want any guy near Bella, Bella is a virgin, etc. I think that in fic when Edward has a huge dick and Bella comes during her first time...these clichés reflect what women want in fantasy. And that's what fic is- a fantasy. If it was like real life, we wouldnt be as obsessed. The fantasy is what's attractive. I try to keep my writing realistic, but ultimately, I think we are all craving fantasy.

Oh....GREAT answer. I agree with that exactly...sometimes they just get really funny... Me personally...I love reading the more realistic fics....but i understand the fantasy of it.

Cherry.blossomz: I agree. you can only read "wetness pooled between my thighs" so many times...

hahaha I just laughed so loud it scared my daughter.

Cherry.blossomz: my next fic will be very anti-cliché. so im sure you will love it!

O.o you have another fic coming out?

Cherry.blossomz: I have an outline, but i probably wont publish until after the summer.

I can't wait!! Now I'm super excited!


Cherry.blossomz: oh yay!!

Oh yeah...one more thing    Fuck...Marry...Kill....? Rob, Kristen, Taylor

Cherry.blossomz: Fuck Rob. Marry Kristen. Kill Taylor.

My thoughts exactly...  


------------------------------------

You can find Darkness on fanfiction.net HERE

You can find the playlist for Darkness HERE

You can follow the author on Twitter HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment